Tuesday, July 31, 2012

5 Weeks

It's so unbelievable that Lucas is already 5 weeks old. It still doesn't even feel like I had him, it just feels like he's always been here. 

They say that you never really know what love is until you have a child. I think that it's partially true. I think that you know what love is when you find that one person in the world that you're compatible with above and beyond everyone else and that you couldn't imagine living your life without, but, having a child, that's a different kind of love. Every time I look at this little boy, my heart swells. It's unreal to think that he's a part of me and a part of Eric. I'm amazed at how much I am totally head over heels in love with him. Even on the days when all he does is cry (and there have only been one or two of those) I never feel any less love for him. It breaks my heart when he cries because he's in pain (tummy issues) and there's nothing I can do to help him.

I'm so glad that he arrived when he did. I think I was mentally and physically prepared to be a mommy to him. He's our little bean and I can't remember what life was like without him.


This weekend was pretty uneventful for us. Saturday we did a whole lot of nothing and Sunday we did about the same. I think we're both waiting for this little guy to be just a little bit older before we take him to the beach or anywhere too far away. I'd rather he be able to hold his head up a little more before we take him somewhere like that. I feel like it might make me think he's just a little bit less fragile.

We're both waiting for the days where he'll be a little ticklish and smile at us when he's awake and not only when he's sleeping. He's been chatting so much lately and it's so cute. It's so funny that after I change him, he loves to just lay there and talk. He gets bored easily though, so it's been a little bit of a challenge to get him to realize that he can't get up and walk/play/sit up yet and I know he gets frustrated. He's been lifting his head a lot more, so that's fun. 

Two nights ago I put him in his crib for the night for the first time. I really wanted to get him in there so that we wouldn't have that transition period from when babies usually go from sleeping in their parents room to sleeping in their crib. In our house, he's been sleeping in his own room, but in the bassinet part of the pack and play. Unfortunately, he was getting way too tall for that and I definitely had to get him to a place where he had more room. He's been doing so well, so I can't see there being any issues with 'transition.'

That's all that's going on in my world. Hoping for a "play date" with baby Olivia later this week as long as the weather holds out.

Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, sincere, honest post. It gives me so much hope for the future. Of finding a husband. Of having my own child to unconditionally love someday. You and your family are beautiful...just beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, thank you so much! Keep your chin up! You'll be decorating your room at college in no time and having so many new experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for commenting! I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible!